Monday, August 17, 2009

a nickel is more than five cents

I rode the mega bus from Penn Station to Boston last Thursday afternoon.

When I arrived, I had to ride the T to the stop nearest my girlfriend's apartment. She had suggested I ride a cab to her place. Trying to save every penny possible, I decided to research the bus routes when I got off the train. After getting a copy of the schedule for the correct bus, I started walking back to find the spot where the next one would arrive.

A gentleman passed me flashing a dollar bill. He asked for change, saying he only really needed 25 cents in order to get on the bus. A lady that was waiting handed him 20 cents. So, I thought, I can help him out with a nickel. I placed my bag on top of my rolling suitcase to search for my coin purse. The guy was anxious, motioning that the awaiting bus was the one he was trying to get on.

As I kept looking frantically as the guy hovered over me until I told him I didn't have it because I'd lost my coin purse. His reaction: he said, "Never mind, that was my bus" as it drove off. Then he kicked a post or something (I didn't really wanna see) and yelled the f-word at the top of his lungs over and over again. Followed by, "I help people out all the time and when it's my turn, I get f***ed!"

No, "Ma'am, I'm sorry you lost your wallet. That sucks!" I initially thought, "What a jerk! What about me!" Within the hour, I'd already called the subway line's lost & found and disabled my debit card. I had no cash, no access to any money and no ID. But I was okay. My friend was coming to pick me up, I had my phone and a place to spend the night.

Thanks, nickel guy! What would've happened if I would've hailed a cab...

No comments:

Post a Comment