Wednesday, September 2, 2009

kerchiefs on the 2

Before arriving at the 135th Street stop, I looked up from my book and felt like I had been transported to Amish country in Pennsylvania.

There were about seven women, most in their early 20s, dressed in lightweight cotton ankle-length skirts and blouses. The floral pattern designs reminded me of the material Mami used to make curtains. No, not like last week, either. I'm talking about the mid 70s at a military base in Germany. But by the looks of these ladies, I don't think there's a Jo Ann Fabrics anywhere near their home.

Not being up on the latest in "modest wear", I couldn't really identify which fundamentalist Christian sect they belonged to. They weren't handing out anything and kept to themselves so I didn't get the impression they were doing any kind of missionary work either.

I stopped reading and removed my earbuds to conduct some in-depth research. Because of the distance between us, I wasn't very successful. All I could make out was that they spoke English. And that they were incredibly pale in comparison to the other folks on the train. (Until we got to 96th Street, that is. But even still, those folks visit a beach every once in a while or spray it on!)

So, I just had to resort to glancing in their direction occasionally. The thoughts running through my head: Where are they from? Why are they in NYC? And, on the subway in the Bronx?? Would the folks at Nike consider using the "rebel" in the group wearing the swoosh on her feet in an ad campaign?

When we all got off at 42nd, I smiled to myself, hoping the ladies were heading over to the garment district to stock up on material for the winter line...

No comments:

Post a Comment